A new Qt SDK, the Qt SDK 1.2, is now available for download, and it makes it easier than ever to create rich applications with improved performance.
The new SDK includes the latest version of Qt Creator (2.4.1) as well as Qt 4.8 for desktop and embedded developers including Windows, Mac and Linux/X11 (released as stand-alone in December).
Qt mobile app downloads continue to grow in Nokia Store, and the SDK update contains mobile improvements for the Symbian and MeeGo Harmattan 1.2 targets, new Qt mobility examples in Qt Creator and easy integration of the Qt In-App Purchasing API, which enables developers to build in-app purchasing into their Qt mobile application.
Key benefits within the updated SDK include:
Qt Creator 2.4.1
Qt Creator 2.4.1 is a patch version containing some fixes and enhancements for Qt Creator 2.4.
- Improvements in the C++ and QML editors, such as syntax highlighting in QML, and improved static QML code-checking features.
- Improvements of the code refactoring tools
- Reusable “schemes” for the coding styles (C++ and QML) between projects
Qt 4.8 for desktop and embedded Windows, Mac and Linux/X11
- Qt Platform Abstraction, which makes it easier to port QtGui to new windowing systems
- Qt Quick improvements including the possibility to embed OpenGL shader effects in Qt Quick apps with the help of a QML shader add-on.
- Threaded Open GL making it easier, and more thread safe, to render OpenGL from more than one thread concurrently
More Qt mobility code examples.
The updated Qt SDK includes over 20 Qt Mobility examples.
In-App Purchasing enables developers to seamlessly offer additional, premium content for purchase, such as new items/levels/functionality and try and buy application upgrades, within the confines of the app experience.
This enables new revenue opportunities within mobile Qt apps. The In-App Purchasing API beta has been available and manually installable, but now this component can be added and maintained in the Qt SDK configuration, simply by using the SDK maintenance tool.
Having the opportunity to include In-App Purchasing can increase revenue substantially for mobile developers. With strong, continued growth of Qt app downloads in Nokia Store, and the store itself continuing to grow – over 11 million downloads per day - Qt continues to be a good choice for developers creating mobile apps for the 155+ million Qt enabled Nokia phones currently in the market.
Congratulations to the team who worked on this release. We all hope you enjoy the new Qt SDK 1.2